I’m already retired

If you’re entitled to a State Pension, then you normally get a letter around two months before you reach your State Pension age. You don’t get the State Pension automatically, you’ll need to claim it (external website) – you can do that online, over the phone or by post.

It’s easy to claim online – watch the video to see what people think.

The State Pension changed on 6 April 2016. If you reached your State Pension age before 6 April 2016, then you will still get your State Pension under the previous system. This includes the basic State Pension (external website) and additional State Pension (external website) (if you’re eligible).

If you reached your State Pension age on or after 6 April 2016, then you’ll claim the new State Pension (external website). But your National Insurance history before then will also be taken into account.

Increasing your State Pension
Continue working
Extra financial help

Increasing your State Pension

You don’t have to claim your State Pension straight away. If you delay claiming it, then the amount you get can increase. Find out more about deferring your State Pension (external website).

If you have gaps in your National Insurance record, then check whether you have any gaps that you could fill. You may be able to apply for some National Insurance credits if they’re not already shown, such as if you were caring for a child under 12. Or, you can consider paying voluntary National Insurance contributions to fill those gaps, but these aren’t right for everyone. Filling gaps might increase how much State Pension you get.

Continue working

You’re not forced to stop working completely just because you claimed your Workplace Pension or reached your State Pension age. Staying in work means you keep earning and can keep saving too.

You can still contribute to your employer’s workplace pension scheme until you’re 75. Your boss will also keep paying in, as long as you earn over £6,240 a year (2020/21 rates), and you might still get tax relief from the Government. If you’re over your State Pension age, then you won’t need to pay National Insurance (external website). That’s a boost of around £2,500 a year for the average full time worker in the UK.

But if you’re ready for a change of job or pace, you have the right to ask your employer about flexible working (external website). Perhaps you have caring responsibilities or want to balance your work and home activities. Your employer may be happy for you to change to flexible or part-time hours, or you might want to think about different types of jobs.

Continuing work may support your health and wellbeing for the better and many people enjoy companionship at work. Many employers are keen to keep the experience of their older workers and making the most of training can lead to new opportunities in the workplace.

Advice on changing the way you work

Extra financial help

If you don’t have an adequate income in retirement, then you may be able to receive Pension Credit. This is an income-related benefit that can increase your total weekly income, including any State Pension, to a minimum amount.

Pension Credit isn’t based on your National Insurance contributions. You may get Pension Credit even if you aren’t eligible for any State Pension.

If you have a partner, and they haven’t reached their State Pension age, then you may need to claim Universal Credit (external website) instead.

Find out more about Pension Credit (external website)

You can also apply for an older person’s bus pass or transport pass to help with free travel.

Apply for a bus pass (external website)

If you were born on or before 5 April 1954, you could get extra help to pay your heating bills this winter. It’s normally paid automatically if you’re receiving State Pension or some other benefits. If not, you’ll need to claim it.

Find out more about winter fuel payments (external website)